Home   Contact    Sitemap  
 
 Home 
 Contact us 
 Holidays 
 Meeting Ambassador  
 About Embassy  
 Royal Thai Consulate-Generals 
 News & Annoucement  
3 Sep 2014 12:31:40
Thai Embassy   Google    
Royal Thai Embassy
History
The Ambassador
Chancery
Office of the Defense Attache
Office of Commercial Affairs
Tourism Authority of Thailand
Work & Holiday
Address & Map
The History of the Royal Thai Embassy in New Delhi
History of the Royal Thai Embassy in New Delhi

              Diplomatic relations between Thailand and India were established on August 1st , 1947 through the exchange of envoy in the capital of each nation. From 3rd of October 1951, the representation has been elevated to ambassadorial level.

              A building, located on No. 15 Auransave Road, New Delhi, was rented by a private owner to become the Royal Thai Embassy. The monthly rent was 851 rupees and 11 annas. Later, the Indian Government allocated unoccupied, deserted, barren sand-stones lands for leasing to various foreign Governments in order to build their embassies with public utilities.

 

        Lhung Wijitwatakarn was the Thai ambassador during that time. It was he who requested for an authorization to rent 4 acres (approx. 10 rais) of the allocated lands, located at No 56-N, Nyaya Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, from the India Government to build the Royal Thai Embassy. In 1951, during the tenure of Lhung Pattarawatee, the Indian Government gave approval for the Thai side to rent these particular lands. Lhung Pattarawatee took over the lands on June 19th, 1953 and signed the Perpetual Lease on behalf of the Thai Government on November 22nd, 1954. The details of the rent are as follows :

1. Premium Expenses Rupees1600,00
2. Commuted Ground Rent Rupees160,000
3. Nominal Ground Rent Rupee1
4. Registration and duties fees were exempt in accordance with the Mutual Assistance Principle

After the Thai Government took over the ownership of the lands, the Navy and Air-Force Attaché Office initiated the construction of the first 2 buildings at the cost of Rupees 170,000 each. The Navy Attaché was Captain Awub Shunthornsuma and the Air-Force Attaché was General Sawat Phowihok and the responsibility was handed over to Group Captain Prawat Geerasathit.

May 1954
  • The Ministry of Finance authorized the budget of Rupees 40,000 to meet the construction cost for the walls surrounding the lands.


March 28th, 1955
  • The Ministry of Finance approved the budget of 811,771 rupees, 12 annas and 11 pais (Bath 2,134,600.24) for the construction cost of the Royal Thai Embassy. The design was proposed by Ambassador Lhung Pattarawatee, Ambassador Phamahintanukorn's predecessor. Details are as follows :


1. Ambassador's Official Residence with air-conditioner Rupees 368,520
2. Chancery Rupees 99,512
3. First-Secretary lodging (currently is a lodging of an Ambassador) Rupees 52,766
4. Second-Secretary lodging (currently is a Counselor's lodging) Rupees 52,766
5. Maid quarters and garage Rupees 69,480
6. Gardening, drive way, fountain, ponds Rupees 35,000
7. Other expenses Rupees 45,000
Total Rupees 723,044

Mr. Karl Malte Von Heinz, a German architect, was responsible for supervising the construction.


May 7th, 1955
  • Ambassador Phamahintanukorn submitted a report to the Ministry citing that the Embassy would be too crowded if it was to be built according to the design of his predecessor, due to the fact that there were already 2 military attaché office buildings and additional 5 buildings were to be constructed. Hence, it would be difficult or even impossible to build additional buildings in the future. The proposition to rent the additional 4 acres of land located in the south (originally reserved by the Royal Norway Embassy but currently belongs to New Zealand) was then submitted to the Government.

By renting these lands, more field spaces would be obtained to provide a shady and cool atmosphere and facilitate the receptions. Furthermore, the Embassy would be surrounded by the roads on all 4 sides. The India Government was willing to lease only 2 acres of land for Rupees 40,000 per acre as another option. However, the Ministry disapproved the proposition because of budgetary constraint. Hence, the construction was carried out according to the design proposed by Lhung Pattarawatee.

Later in November 1956
  • The Ministry of Finance authorized additional budget of 184,969 rupees, 7 annas and 6 pais for purchasing furniture and installing the transformer. The total construction cost came approximately to Rupees 1,216,740 (Rupee 1 = approx. Baht 2.6)


The construction of the Royal Thai Embassy was completed in mid 1958
  • during the tenure of Ambassador Boon Charoengchai. Since then, there have been budgetary support for maintenance and renovation . The Royal Thai Embassy underwent major renovation works in 1997 at the cost of Baht 19,968,600. Chujuk Construction Co., Ltd was a contractor responsible for renovation works.



Embassy Holiday
Next holiday:
  • Thu 02 Oct 2014
    Mahatma Gandhis Birthday

©Copyright 2007. Royal Thai Embassy. Designed by TNT.
D-1/3 Vasant Vihar, New Delhi 110057
Telephone : (+91 11) 2615 0130-34
Fax : (+91 11) 2615 0128-29 Website : http://www.thaiemb.org.in